1. List down THREE safety precautions one should observe when entering a Computer laboratory.
2. Why must foods and beverages be kept out of the computer room?
3. Discuss TWO main causes of fire or accidents in the computer laboratory and give the precautions that should be taken to guard against them.
4. (a). Give Six safety precautions you should take when handling diskettes.
(b). Where should the arrow on a diskette point when being inserted into the floppy drive.
5. List THREE things that can spoil a Printer if they are not of the correct specification, and explain what damage may be caused.
6. Why are powder based and water-based fire extinguishers not allowed in the computer room?
7. Identify three facilities that will ensure proper ventilation in a room.
8. Give THREE reasons why it is important to regularly service the computer.
9. Explain precisely how the Keyboard, mouse, and other Input devices should be arranged to avoid strain while working on the computer.
10. (a). What name is given to alternative sources of power in a computer.
(b). Name any THREE sources of power in a computer system.
11. State two reasons why a computer needs to be connected to a stable power supply.
12. State two functions of the UPS.
13. State two reasons that are likely to cause eye-strain in the computer room.
14. Identify three proper sitting postures while using the computer.
1. Explain exhaustively the importance of computers in the following areas:
v). Communication industry.
vi). Law enforcement agencies.
vii). Domestic and Entertainment.
2. Explain various ways computers have been mostly used in our country.
3. List down and explain 6 uses of computers in our society.
4. Explain the similarities and differences between human beings and computer systems.
1. State three methods of classifying computers. In each case, list the different types of computers.
2. What is a Personal computer?
3. Differentiate the following types of computers.
a). Supercomputer and Mainframe computer.
b). Minicomputer and a Personal computer.
c). Special-purpose (dedicated) computers and General-purpose computers.
d). Desktop computers and Laptop computers
4. Briefly describe terms “Analogue” and “Digital computers” as used in computer science.
5. Give three examples of Special-purpose computers.
6. Name any FOUR classes of computers based on size and complexity.
1. (a). What do you mean by Application software?
(b). Describe the main forms of Application software.
1. (a). Briefly discuss the two broad categories of software.
(b). Giving examples, name 3 different types of computer programs found on a typical
2. Give 4 examples of System software and Applications software.
3. Why do people prefer special–purpose applications (developed applications) to general-purpose applications (bought off-the-shelf)?
4. Give THREE factors to consider when choosing an Application package.
1. (a). What is a program?
(b). Outline the difference between the two classes of programs.
2. Outline the range and functions of Application programs.
3. Name FIVE programs which can be classified as ‘Application programs’.
4. What are Text Editors and where are they most commonly used?
5. (a). What are Spreadsheets?
(b). Name THREE commonly used spreadsheet packages.
6. (a). What are Database management system software?
(b). Give 3 examples of database software.
7. (a). List four categories of Graphics packages.
(b). State some of the essential features of a Graphics package.
(c). Give THREE examples of the most commonly used Presentation Graphics package.
8. What is Desktop Publishing? How does it differ from Word processing?
9. State one computer software used in industrial systems. Give examples.
10. (a). What is Multimedia?
(b). State any four devices of a computer that can be classified under Multimedia devices.
(c). List four applications of multimedia programs.
(d). What are the minimum hardware requirements to run multimedia applications?
11. What are communication software used for?
12. (a). What are the advantages of e-mail?
(b). What is a browser and what is it used for?
13. What are Software Suites? Give the advantages of using suites?
1. Briefly distinguish between System Software and Application Software.
2. (a). What are Application packages?
(b). Identify FIVE types of Application software that may be installed in a microcomputer.
Briefly explain what each type of software you have listed does, and give two examples where necessary.
(c). List THREE advantages and disadvantages of general-purpose application software as
compared to the other forms of applications.
3. Name FOUR major application packages. Outline four features of each.
4. List the advantages and disadvantages of Integrated packages/Software Suites over Standard packages.
1. List 8 things that the purchaser of software might require as part of the purchase.
1. Briefly describe the history of computers.
2. (a). What do you mean by computer generations?
(b). Describe the FIVE generations of computers in terms of technology used and give an
example of a computer developed in each generation.
(c). Compare computer memory sizes during the Five computer generation periods.
3. What was the most remarkable discovery during the second computer generation?
4. (a). Technology is the basis of computer classification. Based on this, explain briefly the
difference between the first three computer generations.
(b). What is so peculiar in the fourth and fifth generation of computers?
5. Match the following generations of computers with the technology used to develop them.
6. Give four characteristics of First generation computer.
7. Write the following abbreviations in full:
8. What is Artificial Intelligence?
1. (a). Define System software.
(b). Name and explain the main categories of system software.
(c). Name THREE programs which can be classified as ‘System programs’
2. Write short notes on the following:
(a). Text editor.
3. (a). What is a Programming language?
(b). Identify the various types of programming languages.
1. Describe a Firmware.
2. What is an Operating System?
3. (a). What is meant by ‘Machine language’?
(b). What is the difference between machine and Assembly language?
4. (a). Most computer programming is carried out using High-level or Third generation
languages. What is a High-level language?
(b). Name THREE popular High-level programming languages.
1. (i). What is computer software?
(ii). What are the characteristics of software?
2. What is meant by “Software flexibility”?
3. What is used to write programs?
4. (a). What name is given to the language in which programs are written?
(b). Give the name of the language that is understood by the computer.
1. (a). Define software.
(b). Draw a software family tree.
2. State the THREE types of software.
1. List down the components that make up a computer.
2. Clearly draw and label the main physical parts of a simple computer system.
3. What are computer peripherals?
4. (a). Name and explain the two main divisions of computer storage.
(b). Give two common examples of secondary storage devices.
5. Name two output devices.
6. (a). Explain the term System unit.
(b). Name some of the components found in the System unit.
(c). Give three features of a computer’s System Unit.
7. Why is the screen also called a Monitor?
8. What is a Mouse in relation to computing?
1. What is a Computer?
2. Why is a computer referred to as an electronic device?
3. Define the following terms as used in computer science.
c). Data processing.
4. (a) Briefly explain the two forms of data.
(b) Give THREE differences between Data and Information.
5. The speed of a computer is measured in ___________.
6. What does the term GIGO stands for?
7. List and explain 4 salient features/ properties of a computer.
8. List FIVE advantages of a computerized system over a manual system.
9. Briefly explain five factors that can be used to determine the type of a computer.